Sunday, April 24, 2011

April Showers...

I took a walk/run early today to try to beat the rain (I didn't), but stopped in my garden on the way back anyway to pick a few peaches and make sure that the seedlings I planted on Friday had made a nice transition.  I wanted to know that I had watered deep enough when I transplanted them that the very light rain today would be enough (I did). 

I have lots of gardening things I want to blog about:  beets and the awesome way I found to plant them this year,  a funny labeling story I read and what it brings to mind, and some interesting things that have resulted from joining the garden writers association (including offers of free loot...hmmm).  But, I have things I want to shoot because the loft is like a gigantic softbox today. 

So, I'll quickly share these two tidbits:

One is a chart of my little 12 x 5 garden, even though it's only an iphone shot from this morning and you can't see the beets or herbs.  Excuse the typo in rosemary:


And the other is this contraption I built.  When I moved into a different loft two months ago, I lost a lot of storage where I used to keep all my gardening things:  seeds, seed starting trays, wellies, etc.  Now, I don't even have an out of the way hallway where I can keep my garden sneakers without being seen by the neighbors like a did before and I have less storage inside the loft, too.  Because of that, I settled on a space near the front door as the "garden center".  But, all the cabinets that would fit there were either really ugly or really expensive.  So, I took an old bookshelf and fashioned a fitted covering for it out of some cheap fabric I got at ikea.  It's simple and looks fine next to the front door without calling too much attention to itself.  Except for those buttons.  What was I thinking?  I'll find new and fun buttons for it when I have a chance...  I don't have a sewing machine so it was all various forms of iron seams and velcro.   Probably cost me about 12 bucks and a few hours of my time.  Look at me all DIY.  


No comments:

Post a Comment