Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tomato, Potato, Zucchini, Oh My! (what the heck do I do with it all!)

Bounty from one day last summer.

We've pretty much established that this Summer, my garden took a back seat to other kinds of growing (and hopefully harvesting).  It took a back seat to fitting in a yoga class or a long walk.  Sometimes it took a back seat to a bit of a longer sleep in the morning when my adrenals were kicking my butt.  It took a back seat to work, mostly.  All sowing was done there this year.  It had to.  And, of course, this past Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer I've had a strange and conflicted relationship to my 5 x 12 plot because of all that it meant for me before The Squeeze left me.  But, slowly, I'm getting back in the swing of things.... I have high hopes for the Fall plantings.

But, in the meantime, I'm a failed gardener this summer.  Oh sure, I've harvested one bowl worth of tomatoes and some herbs.  I picked one japanese eggplant and two cucumbers with a scattering of carrots.  And there were the two cabbages that grew ever so slowly over the Fall and Winter and finally were harvested a few weeks ago.   And, I picked... um, oh yeah.  Nada.  I mean I probably have broken some kind of gardening record.  A zucchini plant that grew NO zucchini.  Stop the presses!

But, if you happen to have had a much better growing season and find yourself sneaking around in the middle of the night dropping produce off on your neighbor's front porch.  Here's an idea:  Give it to the hungry.  I follow a lovely blog called GREEN FRIEDA.  And Audrey has posted HERE about a wonderful organization called Ample Harvest   So, if you find yourself with an embarrassment of riches in the form of garden produce, maybe this is the solution! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks good to me. Your harvest will be coming. bigsquid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Big Squid. Knowing you are always there as my number one cheerleader is such a gift. Love, Squidly

    ReplyDelete