Sunday, November 18, 2012

Transition...





It's that time of year again...
A summer garden becomes a winter garden.  

Transition.  

Transition has never been an easy thing for me.  I'm not good with change or leavings or new paradigms.  As adventurous as I've been in my travels and learnings, I'm not too great about it on the micro-level.

And my garden this year followed suit.  A few months ago I cut down all the summer crops and dutifully left them to lay fallow in their beds to return all that goodness to the earth.  I turned them into the dirt occasionally and when it stopped being 100 degrees in October (!!), I planted my winter garden.  I planted lots of lettuces and peas and carrots and beets and radishes and onions and garlic.

Three days later, the lettuces had been chewed down to the roots, along with the peas.  The seeds and bulbs for the rest had been pulled up out of their little three inch deep holes, like a reverse game of 'whac-a-mole".  Some critters had wreaked havoc.

Just like my garden this year, I've got lots of things being upturned.  I've got lots of decisions to make about what next year will look like for me.  I feel pulled in a few directions some of which seem practical and some of which seem, well, insane and scary to dream or try.  I'm not sure if they can all work together or if they even should.  I feel alone in it all and I'm not sure I have the spare energy to make them happen, but I'm reading, taking classes, thinking, seeking counsel from smarter people than me about it.  What I know for sure is it is going to require transition: of my work, my creative vision, my faith, and my belief in myself. 

Some people in my life are in their own transitions and in some cases I've had to admit that they don't want me along for the ride.  With others, we are working hard to replant and move from our summer garden to our winter garden.  I think if we can do that we'll have very deep roots that will take us to the end.

Part of my transition is most likely leaving this blog behind.  It's been an amazing place to share some triumphs of life and love and garden.  It's also been a place to quietly share heartache and robbed gardens and disappointments.  It's been a safe place to push and pull at my writing and see if there is anything to say...  And to all 6 of my readers (no seriously...), I thank you for encouraging me.  But, if the classes and readings and counsel are right, I must stop being sooo secretive and safe about it all. 

So, I'll keep gardening, but those updates will be over on my photo blog.  And eventually when it's right, I'll transition that one into the light.  But, it will be all of me - the photos, the garden, the writing.  All of it.  All of me.

I hope you'll go over to it and put it in your RSS feeds or however you get your news feeds so you won't miss anything when the time comes:  www.squidpictures.blogspot.com   

In the meantime:  I replanted my winter garden and then locked it down like Fort Knox!!!!   Here's a few shots of it... Some seeds are already sprouting.  How inspiring is that?!










No comments:

Post a Comment