Sunday, January 24, 2010

Long Beach Is My Garden



This morning, in order to follow through on "believing the impossible" of yesterday's post and to earn the silver medallion my friends Anne and Kirk gave me as a result of said post, I got up early and rode my bike along the LA River to a SoCal Guerrilla Gardening spot under the Anaheim Bridge.  Scott Bunnell who IS SoCal Guerrilla Gardening arranges legal and illegal plantings ala Raves in abandoned bits of dirt all over Long Beach.   So, along with 15 or so folks and a film crew (figures he would be getting filmed for a travel show this particular day), we took his lovingly propagated natives and turned this into that:



As one of the volunteers, George, said:  "I live in an apartment and don't have a garden, so why not do this.  Then Long Beach is my garden".  I just loved that!  The volunteers were old and young, gardeners and not, apartment dwellers and house dwellers and veterans to SoCal Guerrilla along with total newbies like me.



I think one of the unexpected gifts of my garden has been the circle of fellowship around gardening and greening.  I've got a web of cyber-blog people I rely on for advice and encouragement and some have even become friends in the flesh like Adriana of Anarchy In The Garden.  I did what I do best and had pimped her to the film crew before she even got there... She gives good interview. 




Today's guerrilla planting was another step in my adventures in gardening.  It reaffirmed for me that I can and will find community because of my garden.  Scott gave aloe vera to anyone who wanted some.  And as I set out for the bicycle path again, I passed this scooter and smiled at the adventure this particular plant was about to go on:



3 comments:

  1. It was a pleasant surprise to see you and it was so fun! Are you coming tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome...my grandma is smiling down at you!

    ReplyDelete